Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Naples..

My first impression with Naples wasn't the best. The city had gone through a work strike over the summer and I guess things hadn't gotten back to normal. There was a lot of garbage in the streets. Unlike at home there is no garbage pick up I learned. There are garbage drop offs. Once we arrived at the current facility we were given a ride to the new one that's in construction. Sorry not allowed to take pictures. During the ride there I learned that the unemployment rate is incredibly high in Naples. There were some neighborhoods that reminded me of being in Africa they were run down and decrepit. After lunch we got a nice tour from one of the staff members there. She took us quite a ways away and it was worth it, if you look at the Naples flickr set you can see that there are areas of Naples that are quite lovely.

Today we are in Istanbul, I will post a little more after work as my experience here so far is a two hour taxi ride from the airport to the hotel approx 33kms away. Traffic is crazy here and I would go mental if I had to drive here. I can say that the city is enormous and I hope I will have a little bit of time to see the Bazaar and the Blue Mosque.

No comments:

Post a Comment